Monday, June 7, 2010

Pretty Ice Cubes

These are some Pretty Ice Cubes that I made for you to see (not the little ones; they're the regular kind):




Now don't get yourself all frothy gushing about how pretty they are, because sitting in a freezer and making ridiculously short-lived chunks of Ice "art" is how I make my living. So if I can't make a uniformly rectangular prism of frozen H2O into something reasonably attractive, well then I'm truly a loser, given all the time I've put into it so far. And I can tell that I'm not really a loser (or at least not many realize it), because people call me all the time and want to buy these things that I make out of ice. Sometimes, I have to keep myself from saying to them: "You know this is going to melt, right?" and just take the money and go back to the freezer.

When I'm in a self-reflective mood, I'll think about the years I've put into sculpting ice, and I wonder if I shouldn't have chosen a nobler path in life. After all, I was a science major in college, and perhaps I should have spent my time trying to discover a thing or two that would make the world a better place to live in, at least from a technological point of view. But then I wonder if I'm selling my profession short, not giving creativity and the pursuit of artistic endeavors, frozen or otherwise, enough credit. It's a vicious cycle really, and as the years are frittered away, it becomes pointless, because there's not much I can do about the past. (Unless of course, I'd spent my time coming up with a time travel machine; then maybe I'd have something…) And I really love ice sculpture; I'm still fascinated with how sculpted ice looks and the potential and possibilities locked in a giant block of ice that's just out of the ice machine. As I get older, I seem to be more accepting that this is who I am. Instead of saying to myself: "That's it!?" I find myself more appreciative that yeah, this is it and it's pretty good. Or well, at least it's better than that poor sap has it over there; sucks to be him…

I'm hoping that my interest in writing results in a readable blog that's peppered with sarcastic cynicism, the occasional swear word, various oddly twisted viewpoints, and all the self-deprecating hilarity that my slightly frost-bitten brain can muster! It shouldn't be long before I find out. I mean, I just start writing stuff and people come and read it right? Write it and they will come? Fact, soon as I'm done writing this, I'm going to hit that PUBLISH button and sit here till I start getting some comments. I can't wait! I hope they're funny too; I'm guessing it will take a few minutes at least, but it will be worth the wait! Okay, here we go!!!






































he-lllllooooo.......

No comments:

Post a Comment